- Creative support
- C&M staff
Events and announcements newsletter
What is it?
The Events & Announcements newsletter is sent twice per week to all faculty and staff across SFU’s three campuses. The goal of the newsletter is to share content that supports faculty and staff with news they can use to help them do their work and to encourage stronger connection with the university’s people, programs and priorities.
The content includes timely updates ranging from institutional announcements and initiatives, event listings, SFU News stories and more.
Recent updates to the newsletter include a new look to align with SFU's brand, a streamlined content submission process along with changes to the guidelines.
Ensure your submissions are relevant to the broad SFU community
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
Faculty or department-specific announcements or special interest events are important. If you want to extend the reach of a special interest initiative or event, a great way to do that is post to the Slack channel for SFU communicators asking for help with amplification. If you want to reach students, submit your content to the Student Bulletin.
Make your content stand out
- Tailor your content to your audience - Take a minute to put yourself in the shoes of faculty and staff who read the newsletter. Write copy that highlights aspects of your event or story that is most valuable and engaging to them.
- Write action-oriented headlines that are accessible and engaging - Headlines should stand on their own without supporting copy. Be sure that they articulate your key message and how your audience stands to benefit. Learn more about writing headlines in Eliminate ‘to be’ (and other tips) to make your SFU News stories sing from the SFU Communicators Toolkit blog.
Don’t submit the same content twice
Based on our metrics, repeated content sees an average 60% drop off in click-through rate from one newsletter to the next. If an update is worth sharing again, re-write it to emphasize a different angle to draw in new interest.
Get familiar with the updated submission deadlines
- For inclusion in Tuesday's newsletter: Content must be submitted by 12 PM on the preceding Friday.
- For inclusion in Thursday's newsletter: Content must be submitted by 12 PM on the preceding Tuesday.
Questions or concerns?
Please contact Ray Sharma at email@example.com.
- You must be a staff or faculty member. Log in using your personal computing ID.
- The event or announcement should be relevant to all staff and faculty.
- The event cannot be a student club, religious or charity event.
- All submissions should include a link for more information. If you are submitting an event, please ensure you have created a listing in the SFU events calendar.
Surrey and Vancouver campus
Is your content specific to the staff and faculty of a certain campus? Submit your content to the weekly Surrey and Vancouver campus newsletters below.