Eligibility and Selection
Canadian citizens, permanent residents, and visa students enrolled in undergraduate degree programs at SFU may apply to participate in the SFU Exchange Program.
At the time of application, all undergraduate exchange applicants must
- have completed a minimum total of 36 units*,** with a minimum of 12 units completed at SFU
- have been approved in a program specialization (for example, a major or minor), or have an intended program specialization
- have achieved a minimum 2.67 cumulative grade point average (CGPA)*** or higher as required by partner institutions
- be enrolled as a SFU undergraduate degree student****
Participants must meet certain academic and residency requirements. Exchange participants may apply for a maximum equivalent of 30 exchange units toward their SFU degree. In some cases, a maximum of 15 exchange units may apply to the residency requirements for completing a credential at SFU.
*Undergraduate students undertaking second/subsequent undergraduate degrees must have completed a minimum total of 12 units at SFU during their second/subsequent degree at the time of application.
**FAL and FAN Courses do not count toward these unit totals.
***Exchange Eligibility Appeal Criteria
The undergraduate exchange eligibility criteria are intended to select student participants who are likely to succeed academically in the exchange program. If students have unique circumstances and wish to appeal the CGPA exchange eligibility requirement, they must make an advising appointment to meet with a Study Abroad Officer (Nina Inaoka Lee or Meagan Brown), by Thursday, June 4, 2020 for the June 25th deadline at International Services for Students for information on the formal appeal process. However, students are recommended to meet prior to this deadline to allow sufficient time to complete the Exchange Eligibility Appeal application. The deadline to submit your application for the Exchange Eligibility Appeal is Sunday, June 7th (11:59pm).
**** Undergraduate visiting, non-degree, diploma, and certificate students are not normally eligible for the SFU Exchange Program.
At the time of application, all graduate exchange applicants must:
- Have approval of both their graduate supervisor (or faculty advisor in the case where no graduate supervisor is appointed) and the chair of their graduate program
- Normally have achieved a minimum 3.5 CGPA, or higher as required by partner institutions
- Be in good standing and making satisfactory progress in their program of study
- Be enrolled as an active SFU graduate degree student (note: graduate visiting students, non-degree students, and diploma students are not eligible for the SFU Exchange Program).
Once you apply, you may be nominated for one of your exchange destination selections.
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
You will be notified in writing of the committee’s decision, or invited to an interview, approximately four to six weeks after the application deadline. After nomination, you will have a limited period of time to Opt-out of the exchange program, without penalty.
Next Steps After Nomination
- Complete the host institutions' application form(s) as per instructions in the Study Abroad System.