<kbd id="ym7r81fi"></kbd><address id="a1reddtc"><style id="b9lm435y"></style></address><button id="rfk5j41g"></button>

          Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

          Questions about guard.me@SFU: Short-term primary medical insurance plan for new international students in an SFU undergraduate, graduate or exchange program.

          How am I enrolled into the guard.me@SFU Plan?

          All new international and international exchange/study abroad students will be automatically enrolled in the guard.me@SFU plan upon course enrollment. Fees will be added to your student account.

          All others (e.g. dependent family members, visitors to SFU, non-degree students) can enroll online. 

          How do I enroll my dependent family members?

          If your dependent family members will be accompanying you to Canada, you may purchase coverage for them online through guard.me@SFU.

          Dependents will be eligible for coverage under the equivalent policy (provided their coverage dates overlap with the primary plan member’s) by purchasing directly from the Contractor.  Dependent plans are administered directly by the insurance company, at the rate of:

          • First dependent: 100% of premium for equivalent coverage dates.
          • Remaining dependents: 50% of premium for equivalent coverage dates.

           Definitions of dependents:

          • a) Spouse – a person who is either married to or is living and cohabiting in a marriage-like relationship with the plan member. (Includes same-gender spouses.)
          • b) A legal ward or child of the plan member, who is supported by the plan member, is neither married nor living and cohabiting in a marriage-like relationship, and is either aged 18 or younger or aged 19-24 and attending school or university full time.

          When does my coverage begin?

          Your coverage begins automatically in your first term at SFU and is valid for the first four months only: September 1, January 1, or May 1. Upon enrollment, you will receive a confirmation email sent from guard.me to your SFU email address. Please check your student account online at go.sfu.ca 500 Internal Server Error

          Internal Server Error

          The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.


          Does this plan cover me for my first term or the whole year? What happens in my second term?

          You will be enrolled in a 4 month plan, which will begin on the first of the month of your first term at SFU (September 1, January 1, May 1). However, SFU requires that you have medical insurance for the duration of your studies.

          When you receive your CareCard/BC Services Card, you may apply to opt of the guard.me plan during the appropriate opt out periods. You will be required to show proof of MSP enrollment. 

          If I arrive at SFU before the term starts, am I covered by this policy?

          The guard.me@SFU Plan is valid for four months and begins each term (January 1, May 1, and September 1). If you arrive before any of those dates and need to purchase medical insurance before your plan begins, you may purchase daily coverage though the guard.me@SFU.

           How do I get my proof of coverage?

          Your ID and policy are sent to your SFU email address. If you have not received it within two weeks of the term start date, please contact SFU's International Services for Students.

          How do I find a clinic?

          Log in at guard.me@SFU, select "Clinic Search" and enter your details.

          How do I make a claim? (apply for reimbursement for an eligible expense)

          For claims such as prescription drugs, doctor or hospital visits, and for all claims information, logon to guard.me@SFU, select "Making a Claim" and follow the instructions.

          How will I know when my claim has been processed?

          To track your claim, log on to guard.me@SFU, select "Making a Claim" and follow the instructions.

          What if I lose my ID card or policy?

          To obtain copies of your ID card, Policy Wording or Policy Summary, log on to guard.me@SFU and follow the instructions.

          Who do I call in an emergency or to get information?

          Call the emergency assistance number located on the back of your ID card. Multilingual help is available 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week.

          Where can I find information on my policy?

          Download the summary (brief overview of your benefits) and the policy (full details) below. For more information, visit the guard.me@SFU website.

          Questions about guard.me@SFU: Opt Outs & Refunds

          May I opt out?

          If you already have a valid CareCard/BC Services Card under the BC Medical Services Plan or are studying at SFU under specific government sponsored scholarship programs, you may be able to opt out of the guard.me@SFU plan. Only certain plans are eligible and you must have proof of coverage under the other plan at the time you apply to opt out.

          Please go to guard.me@SFU for the list of eligible alternate plans and the opt-out application. If you qualify to opt out by the deadline (you may opt out until the 45th day of your first term) the vendor will advise SFU of your eligibility and the charge will be reversed on your SFU account. 

          After receiving your valid CareCard/BC Services Card, you can opt out for your second term onwards.

          What do I need to show when opting out?

          If you are eligible to opt out of the guard.me@SFU Plan, you will need to complete the opt out application online and upload proof of coverage under an eligible plan. Please visit guard.me@SFU.

          A scanned copy of your valid BC CareCard/Services Card* or a letter confirming coverage under the eligible opt out plan is required. If you are a TA, you may also scan a letter from SFU Human Resources confirming coverage. Copies of your SFU student ID, passport etc.. are not eligible.

          Your opt-out documents must include proof of the date when your coverage became effective.  If you have coverage under the BC Medical Services Plan, this date can be found on the letter to which your CareCard/Services Card is attached, and is also indicated on your invoice from BC MSP.

          *If you have not yet received your valid CareCard under the BC Medical Services Plan but received an invoice, then you may show proof of coverage by uploading your recent MSP invoice.

          I received my Carecard (MSP) before the end of my first term. May I apply for a partial refund of the 4 month policy?

          You may be eligible for a refund of the unused portion of your insurance if you have not made a claim and there is more than 1 month of coverage remaining when you apply through guard.me@SFU. Your application for a partial reimbursement must be received by guard.me@SFU before the last month of the term (that is, before April 1, August 1 and December 1). If approved, your partial refund will be applied to your SFU account.

          When will the charge be removed from my student account?

          Upon successful approval of your opt-out application of the guard.me@SFU plan, it may take couple weeks for Student Accounts to process and update your account information.

          Should you require further information or assistance, please contact SFU’s International Services for Students office.  

          Questions about BC Medical Services Plan (MSP)

          I already pay for the SFSS/GSS Health and Dental Benefit Plan on my tuition. Why do I need BC MSP?

          The SFSS/GSS Health and Dental Plan is a secondary plan which you may be automatically enrolled in. You will pay for this plan on your student account but you must have a primary plan (either guard.me@SFU or BC MSP) to use it. The plans work together to help you avoid unexpected costs.  For example, you would use your BC MSP (BC Services Card or CareCard) to visit a doctor, and use your Student Society Plan to purchase medicine prescribed by the doctor at a reduced cost.

          How do I use my BC Services Card (or CareCard)?

          When you visit SFU’s Health and Counselling Services, any doctor's office or hospital in BC,  simply show your valid BC Services Card (or CareCard) to receive treatment at no additional cost for benefits covered by BC MSP.

          My BC Services Card (or CareCard) is going to expire. What should I do?

          500 Internal Server Error

          Internal Server Error

          The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.

          My BC Services Card (or CareCard) expired a long time ago. What should I do?

          You must renew your BC Services Card (or CareCard) right away. Apply with a new application form and a copy of your study permit. Phone BC Medical Services Plan at 604-683-7151 to find out how long it will take to process your application. In some cases, it may be possible to backdate your account. If it is not possible, you may have to apply for private insurance while you are waiting for your new BC Services Card (or CareCard) to be issued. Speak to an International Student Advisor if you have any questions or concerns

          Where can I find out more information about BC MSP?

          You can find answers to common questions on the BC Medical Services Plan website: see BC Resident's Frequently Asked Questions.

          Questions about SFSS/GSS Benefit Plan (StudentCare)

          I have questions about the SFSS or GSS Benefit Plans? Who should I talk to?

          Undergraduate and graduate students may call the StudentCare Member Services Centre at 1 866 369-8795, Mon. - Fri. from 9 am to 5 pm. or visit the undergraduate website or graduate website for more information.

          You may also wish to refer to your respective student society's website for more information about your plan. Undergraduate students: Simon Fraser Student Society website. Graduate students: Graduate Student Society website

          Questions about Employee Benefits for Teaching and Research Assistants

          Where can I find out more about my benefit plan as a TA/TM/Sessional Instructor/RA?

          You can find answers to common questions on the Human Resources website: see TSSU Benefit Plan FAQ and RA Benefit Plan FAQ.

          I am a new TA/TM. How do I apply for a partial reimbursement of my guard.me@SFU plan?

          New TA/TMs may be eligible to receive a reimbursement for a portion of the cost for single, couple, or family guard.me@SFU coverage. You will need to take proof of payment (electronic invoice from guard.me for family enrollments) and a copy of your and your family's guard.me (if applicable) cards to Human Resources for partial reimbursement.

          For more information, visit //www.ddrtester.com/human-resources/tssu.html

          Questions about Accessing Health Services

          How can I access health services on campus?

          SFU's Health and Counselling Services (HCS) runs a number of clinics across all three SFU campuses. The Burnaby and Vancouver campus clinics offer students confidential access to nurses, physicians, counsellors and psychologists. At the Surrey campus, HCS offers counselling services only.

          If you are feeling ill, stressed-out, want to discuss birth control, need vaccinations, feel overwhelmed, or are generally concerned about anything to do with your health and wellness, you are encouraged to make an appointment at HCS.  See complete list of contact information to make an appointment.

          You are encouraged to make an appointment at HCS, but you may also be seen on a walk-in basis. Students with no BC MSP health insurance will have to pay for the services received at the time of the visit. For more information about HCS services please visit the website or call the Burnaby campus clinic at 778-782-4615.

          I am new to Canada. Where can I find more information about the Canadian medical system and how to access off-campus medical services?

          See the Medical Insurance page for some useful tips.

          Work Terms and Practicums

          Where can I find more information about WCB, Medical and Liability coverage for students, staff and faculty members?

          Your medical coverage may change if you are on a work term or practicum. SFU's Safety and Risk Services office has created a coverage summary document for Worker's Compensation, Medical and Liability coverage that describes a large number of situations. (It's on their Forms and Resources page.) For more information, please contact Risk Management directly.

          Is your question not answered?

          500 Internal Server Error

          Internal Server Error

          The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.

          contact us.

              <kbd id="l93x5826"></kbd><address id="q4sc0vw6"><style id="v11q0iu4"></style></address><button id="u4grr9do"></button>