President's PhD Scholarship
The President’s PhD Scholarship (PS) rewards PhD students who have made excellent progress in their degree, and who have demonstrated academic excellence, substantial scholarly output and leadership early in their PhD program relative to their peers. The award is intended to provide PhD students with a semester to concentrate full-time on their research.
- GPS will only accept nominations for which all requirements have been met; please hold incomplete applications and submit them once complete and fully eligible
Terms of Reference
- A limited number of President’s PhD Scholarships are available annually and the award is currently valued at $6,500.
- To be eligible to hold a PS, the applicant must have completed fewer than 12 terms of enrolment in the program and be registered as a full-time, regular (not “on-leave” or “part-time”) student in good standing in the PhD program at Simon Fraser University.
500 Internal Server Error
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application..
- While there is no restriction on PS recipients receiving income for work performed during their tenure of the PS, given the intent of the award, recipients are expected to limit the number of hours worked weekly and restrict positions to those that are keeping with the spirit of the award.
- Recipients should be aware that some external awards may restrict students from holding a PS at the same time as the external award. Students holding a national award from SSHRC, CIHR, or NSERC, or their equivalent (ie. SFU Entrance Scholarship or a major international award) are ineligible to hold the PS award during the period that they are holding the other award.
- A PhD student must be nominated for the PS by the student’s senior supervisor whose nomination letter should address the evaluation criteria. Eligible students may not receive more than one PS during their doctoral program or have previously received a President’s Research Stipend award.
- Application is made on the Graduate Award, Application, and Adjudication System (GA3) and submitted to the department of enrolment by the deadline date. The application must be accompanied by a nomination letter from the senior supervisor.
- Awards are made on the recommendations of the academic unit’s Graduate Program Committee to the Dean of Graduate Studies.
- All awards are subject to SFU’s general graduate funding policies.