Although there are no direct funds available from our office to support Postdoctoral Fellows, external funding opportunties can be found in the following resources:
SFU's Faculty Funding Opportunities Database: //ops.its.sfu.ca/
Government of Canada inventory of international awards: //www.science.gc.ca/eic/site/063.nsf/eng/h_9B434E5F.html
Government of Canada inventory of Major Canadian Awards: //www.science.gc.ca/eic/site/063.nsf/eng/h_38F76755.html
Some Postdoctoral funding applications are processed through the GPS office. The funding opportunities for which our office must submit your final online application are listed below. Note that these opportunities have an internal SFU deadline because our staff requires time to review and submit your application:
Postdoctoral Award Payments
Although some Postdoctoral award applications are processed through Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies, postdoctoral awards are paid through different means, depending on the agency:
1. Directly to the Postdoctoral Fellow
- Known awards: SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowship, Trudeau Foundation
- Award holders set up payment directly with the awarding agency; there is no SFU process involved.
- SSHRC Postdoctoral Award holders must complete SSHRC’s direct deposit form and the Request for Instalment or Reinstatement of Award Paid Directly to Award Holder Form (which can be signed by our office firstname.lastname@example.org). You may also need to submit a letter from your doctoral granting institution indicating completion of your doctoral degree.
2. Through SFU’s Research Accounting (note - NOT ORS):
- Known awards: Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships, CIHR, MSFHR, Alzheimer’s Society
- Award holders must send Research Accounting (email@example.com) a copy of the application that was submitted to the external agency, the official Notification of Award (NOA), a complete and fully signed Non-Research Funding Application Signature Sheet (FASS), found here.
- Once research accounting receives the documentation and the funds from the granting agency, an account will be set up and a memo will be sent to awardees, the Faculty Supervisor and the Departmental Manager.
3. Awards set up as ‘Grants’ through ORS and Payroll
- Known awards: MITACS Elevate PDF Awards
- These fellowships, although described as awards, are considered grant funding at SFU. Standard employee benefits (EI/CPP/WCB) may be deducted by payroll.
500 Internal Server Error
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.