CIHR / NSERC / SSHRC
If you are interested in applying to any of the external awards listed below, please check your eligibility, the application procedures and forms on the website of the target funding agency.
Tri-Agency Master Resources
Not sure which field your research falls into (CIHR/NSERC/SSHRC)?
Need help? "Ask Us" Drop In Scholarship Sessions - Maggie Benston Centre, Room #1500
Thursdays | November 7, 14, 21, 28 | 9:30 AM - 11:30 AM
CIHR Webinar - Friday, November 15th and Thursday, November 21st at 09:00 AM PST (English). Monday, November 18th and Friday, November 22nd at 09:00 AM PST (French)
SSHRC-Shop! PowerPoint Presentation
Graduate School Funding - Orientation Handout
CGS-M Upcoming Workshop - Tuesday, November 5th from 2:30 PM - 4:00 PM at ASB 10900 (Burnaby Campus)
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
- Canadian Graduate Scholarship, Master's Program (CGS M) - $17,500 for 12 months, non-renewable
- Students apply for these awards using the Research Portal; applications are then routed through an adjudication process at the university
- Workshop: November 5th, 2019 from 2:30-4:00pm in the Presentation Studio (ASB 10900), Burnaby Campus
- Deadline to apply online: December 2, 2019 before 05:00 PM. Requests to submit late applications will not be accepted.
- Use our CGS M Worklist as a guide to manage your time while completing your application
Where to Start
- Ensure your GPA is eligible. Applicants must have a first class average (A- or 3.67) in each of the last two completed years of study (full time equivalent) to be considered by SFU. Check your transcript to ensure that you have at least an A- average in your last 24-30 credits AND at least an A- average in the 24-30 credits previous to that
- Ensure that your research falls under one of the agencies’ mandates by reviewing the subject eligibility.
- Ensure you are eligible to apply by visiting the Canada Graduate Scholarships-Master's Program description: www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/PG-CS/CGSM-BESCM_eng.asp
- Order your official transcripts from each institution you have attended. Your SFU transcript can be unofficial if SFU is the ONLY institution you are applying to. Yes, you need to include an SFU transcript even if there are no grades - we need it to confirm registration. Note: The unofficial SFU transcript has a security feature that prevents it from being combined with other files. You will need to Print as PDF or print and scan it before you can combine it with another file.
- You need to scan and upload your transcripts as a single .pdf to the Research Portal. Please refer to the Research Portal's presentation and attachment standards. Don't have access to a scanner? Drop your transcripts off at our office during October and November; we will scan them and email you the .pdf
- Attend the CGS Master's Applicant Workshop. Be sure to have your application started as we will be answering content and writing questions.
Choosing a University
Applicants can select up to three Universities where they wish to hold the award. You should select Simon Fraser University as one of their institutions in the application form if:
- you are currently enrolled full time at SFU in an eligible graduate program; or
- you intend to apply for full-time admission to an eligible program of study. A separate application to graduate studies at SFU is required and your CGS M application will not be considered if you have not submitted your application for admission to SFU by January 31, 2020 or the department deadline, whichever is earlier. Information about admissions can be found on the Graduate Studies website: www.ddrtester.com/dean-gradstudies
How to Apply:
The deadline to apply is December 1 before 8:00 pm ET (5 PM Vancouver time). If the deadline falls on a weekend, applications must be submitted by the following business day. In this case, please submit by December 2 before 5:00 PM. There are no extensions granted by the Agencies.
- Applicants need to create a CGS-Master's Canadian Common CV. (Follow the instructions)
- Applicants use the Research Portal to complete and submit their application. (Follow the instructions)
- Applicants also need to follow Research Portal's presentation and attachment standards.
- Past experience has shown that many applications not submitted in time were missing the required reference assessments. You cannot submit your application until your referees have submitted.
- Visit: Instructions for completing the reference assessment form.
Contact Information – Research Portal Technical Support
For assistance, please contact the Research Portal helpdesk at:
Telephone: 613-995-4273, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 5 pm (Eastern time)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com